8 Self-Care Tips During Quarantine
Written by: Charlene Kwinter, LCSW
Self care – Definition: Doing things that make you feel more like yourself
The last few months we’ve been faced with a lot of uncertainty and unknowns. Practicing self care during the coronavirus pandemic can help to alleviate symptoms of anxiety, depression and stress associated with social distancing. If you feel that you are struggling, I have compiled a list of things you can try at home to refocus on yourself, recenter your mind and make it through the day.
- Simplify your schedule
- If you are feeling overwhelmed with your day to day schedule and goals, ask yourself which things can you let go of, which things you can do in parts and prioritize. Which activities are truly adding to your life? Intentionally make space for those activities daily.
- Movement, movement, movement
- Any form of physical movement such as swimming, jogging, yoga, outdoor walks can energize your body and mind. While practicing safe social distancing rules, take advantage of the nice summer weather to move around outside, getting your heart rate up can boost your mood.
- Take a long, warm bath or shower
- Take the time to relax by yourself – you can light candles, put on your favorite playlist, read a book or magazine. Even if you have time constraints and have to take a quick one, try to focus on being present and mindful for full relaxation.
- Due to the quarantine you might find yourself on your phone a lot more, go on a social media and technology fast. Sometimes giving yourself a break from your phone and social media applications can alleviate pressure and stress as well as help you reset your thoughts on positive things.
- Get some shut eye
- Give yourself the space to rest, even though we are home more we might find ourselves busier by taking on multiple roles and projects. As a result our bodies might actually become more exhausted – try to take a nap during the day or go to bed earlier to give your body some extra rest.
- Dance it out
- Take some time to center yourself through music. Put on your favorite dance music, and shake your body.
- For those of you who like to stay busy, sometimes you can feel accomplished by completing small tasks around the house. Choose a place — your email inbox, your desk, a closet — and get rid of the excess and junk.
- Listen to a podcast
- Podcasts can be listened to while participating in any of the above mentioned activities. To narrow your search some topics to search for can include: mindfulness, self love, gratitude. Some recommendations include: Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations, anything Brene Brown.
Bonus one for pet owners:
9. Snuggle Your Pet
- Spend some quality time with your pet by playing with them or giving them some snuggles, embrace their unconditional love.
Everyone’s self care journey is unique, so the things that work at home for some might not work for others and that is completely okay. Embrace your individual journey through trial and error and create an individualized tool box full of self care activities. It is especially important that we take the time to learn about ourselves through self care techniques during a global pandemic.
Click here to learn more about our practice, and to request an appointment for you or your loved one.